Patient and family education is a key factor in reducing hospital readmissions. Research shows patients with above-average health literacy are more than 20% less likely to have a readmission within 30 days of being discharged. Although hospitals and skilled nursing facilities provide comprehensive education upon discharge, issues may arise if facilities lack the staff needed to continually communicate with patients and their families after they leave.
Bridging the Gap Between Discharge and Home
Nexus Health Academy bridges the gap between discharge and home to ensure quality health outcomes for your patients. Our brief videos, delivered at relevant times during the recovery process, help avoid potential issues by providing critical information to help patients better understand and manage their condition. And because family members often play a primary role in helping their loved ones transition home, our caregiver videos provide the tools and resources they need to become an effective extension of the care team.
Following discharge from the hospital or skilled nursing facility, Nexus Health Academy will send two sets of videos covering the same topics—one to the patient and one to the family member(s). The patient series focuses on reinforcing the importance of self-care activities such as taking medications and attending follow-up appointments, while the caregiver videos offer simple concepts to educate them about their loved one’s condition and help them recognize important warning signs and symptoms. They also include practical examples from seasoned transitional care coordinators.
Nexus Health Academy Benefits:
- Reduce readmissions. Help prepare patients and family members to respond quickly to a decline in health by teaching them to identify key warning signs and symptoms.
- Improve patient outcomes. Positively influence patient behavior by demonstrating the health benefits of following a care plan, such as greater independence and a return to normal activity.
- Improve patient and family health literacy. Provide essential education to empower patients and families and encourage them to work toward healthy outcomes.
- Reach patients on their preferred devices. Videos are formatted to ensure a higher delivery rate by allowing for easy viewing via phone, tablet and computer.
- Complement your existing transitional care strategy. Set up delivery to match your existing risk-based stratification levels, at-risk episodes or transitional care strategy.
- Build brand awareness. Videos are branded with your organization’s logo and messaging so patients and their families associate your facility with exceptional care..